The Greenbrier

Welcome to The Greenbrier Women's Community!

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Wonderful woman profile: Nancy Novak

In the months following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, most of us were grieving and struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy to our lives. Nancy Novak was working to rebuild the Pentagon.

Just weeks before 9/11, Hensel Phelps Construction had signed a contract to renovate the Pentagon and Nancy was named Program Manager.

“After 9/11, everything changed,” said Nancy. “There was a tremendous deal of stress and tension around this project. It was quite a burden.”

Late in 2002, Nancy was looking for a special place to go to for rest and recovery from the demands and responsibilities of her work.

“My safety director told me about The Greenbrier,” said Nancy. “His wife’s company had held some meetings there. So I visited The Greenbrier Web site and learned of Women’s Wonderful Weekend.

Nancy has attended Women’s Wonderful Weekend (WWW) every year since then, bringing other women along. Her daughter and her mother have joined her, and every year she sponsors attendance for women from her company.

We spoke with Nancy recently about her experience with Women’s Wonderful Weekend.

What is your favorite aspect of Women’s Wonderful Weekend?

Definitely the personal connections that we make… the friendships. I’ve made many new friends that I never would have met if I hadn’t gone to The Greenbrier, and now we stay in touch all year through.

What are you most looking forward to at this year’s event?

The great speakers. What I love about WWW is that I get a little personal time to relax, I get inspired by the speakers, and I am surrounded by women from all walks of life who are there for the same reasons. And honestly, the speakers have been among the friends I’ve made.

Do you have a favorite WWW memory?

One year, Gail Evans, author of Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman came and brought her daughter. The two of them were awesome. The first year I attended it was right after 9/11 and I was so busy. I really needed to reach out and get some balance. Dr. Pamela Peeke, nutritionist and author of Body-for-Life for Women came and she gave us some great tips about food, body fat and women’s health. What a dynamic personality! One of the best closing speeches I ever heard at the WWW was Sharon Decker, the President of Doncaster Clothing. She talked about life balance. (We love the Doncaster line of clothing too!) I still think about her all the time. She made a huge impression on me and I use her advice for others frequently.

What personal or business advice can you offer to other women?

Anything to excess isn’t good. I have three kids and I always tell them, “Everything in moderation.” Working too much, playing too much, too much money, too much TV, isn’t good. People get so caught up. The secret to happiness isn’t having more of anything; it’s in finding contentment with having enough, which is always an interesting concept.

What do you want other women to know about Women’s Wonderful Weekend at The Greenbrier?

One thing that always fascinates me is the power of networking. It’s huge. Once you experience that power, you really begin to understand it. It feels like an indulgence to do it at The Greenbrier, but it is a smart and an important thing to do. The more women get to know each other and touch base, the better and stronger we’re going to be.

How would you describe Women’s Wonderful Weekend, in a word?

Powerful.

Nancy Novak is an Operations Manager with Hensel Phelps Construction Co. overseeing approximately $300 million worth of backlog each year. Nancy holds a BS in Construction Management/Construction Technology, and she has worked all over the country. Nancy has three children ages 22, 20 and 8.

Learn more about Women's Wonderful Weekend at The Greenbrier, March 6 - 9 2008.

Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to Greenbrier Women's Community by Email
and receive valuable articles, updates and program announcements right to your Inbox.

No comments: